Do you wish you could get more done and find a way to be more productive? We all have the same 24 hours in a day, but it seems like some people consistently accomplish A LOT, while others don’t seem to get much done at all. It’s time to start accomplishing your goals, checking items off your never ending to-do list, and be in control of your day. Get started with these tips to get more organized:
Prioritize Your To-Do List
Ok, I admit it…I have a list for everything! I have multiple lists at any given time and my lists are my secret-weapon to staying organized. Every day I prioritize my to-do list to make sure I accomplish the most important tasks. Here is the favorite daily list making strategy:
- Get a piece of paper and write down EVERYTHING you could, should, or need to do.
- Next, highlight the top three items that HAVE to get done today.
- Lastly, draw a star next to two more items that you COULD get done today, if you end up with enough time.
- Focus on the top three things first, and make it your goal to accomplish those three tasks today. Move on to the next two items only if time allows. If not, start on those tasks first tomorrow.
If there are items on your to-do list that are fairly quick to do, get those done first. It always feels good to check an item off your to-do list, and it gives you a sense of accomplishment. You don’t want to start with a long, time consuming task first and risk not getting anything else done. Start with the easier tasks first, and then move on to the harder items.
Stay Focused and Conquer Your Tasks
- Set a timeline for each task. Be realistic so you’re not rushing yourself, but assign a timeframe so you don’t get distracted or side tracked.
- Focus on one task at a time. Put all of your time, effort, and energy into accomplishing one item at a time, and don’t move onto the next item until you have completed the first one.
- Remember that you control technology, not the other way around. Set your phone to silent if needed, schedule time blocks to check your email and social media throughout the day so you don’t get distracted each time your phone buzzes.
Use A Planner
We each find methods of organization that work best for us. I personally have a note on my phone, my calendar, an excel spreadsheet, and a physical planner. I tend to have a lot of ideas, so I like to get them out of my head and organized in a clear way. I’m also a wife, a mom, a blogger, a business owner, and a college instructor. With so much going on, organization is a huge priority to me. My favorite annual planner is “The Big Picture Planner” by Design Aglow. This new planner is made specifically for creative entrepreneurs and breaks down your goals into quarterly action plans, each month at a glance, weekly goals, and daily to-do essentials.
Once you find a system that works for you, stick to it and be consistent. If you get in the habit of writing down your top three tasks for each day, over time it will become second nature. We all have the same 24 hours in a day, but with a little planning and organization, you can have a productive day and accomplish your goals!
What are your favorite organizational strategies? How do you conquer your to-do list? Tell me about it in the comments below.